EMPIRE is a blue-green turfgrass that has a wider blade than most other zoysias (slightly broader than Meyer Zoysia) and grows in a wide variety of soil and climate conditions. EMPIRE performs well in sandy and clay type of soils throughout the southern U.S. and has tough runners, rhizomes, and deep roots that provide excellent sod strength, wear ability, and improved drought tolerance. EMPIRE performs well in hot, arid, sandy sandy areas of the southeast U.S., and has proven itself drought tolerant in many challenging applications. Shade tolerance research is ongoing, as EMPIRE has performed well in field and homeowner sites, and exhibits shade tolerance typical of most Zoysias. EMPIRE is the first Zoysia to demonstrate improved tolerance to brown patch as compared to Meyer Zoysia in side-by-side plantings. Additionally, EMPIRE is highly tolerant of most herbicides making it easier to control weeds during production and for the end user.
Proper watering upon installation is essential to successful establishment
- Water thoroughly upon installation ensuring that both the EMPIRE is wet and the soil is moist to a depth of 3", which is approximately 1" of water per day
- In hot weather, water within a few hours of installation to mitigate severe damage or loss due to heat/dehydration stress
- Shaded areas and heavy soils require less water than full-sun areas and sandy soils
- When proper rooting is evident, alter irrigation program accordingly
MOWING: New installations are often uneven and care should be taken not to scalp high spots:
- Mow within 10 days of installation and bag clippings for the first few mowings
- After the first few mowing see post establishment instructions for proper mowing practices
Once your new lawn is rooted follow the chart below.
|Mow when grass is this tall:
|Set cutting height of mower to:
FERTILITY: Use a transplant-friendly regimen that will help reduce shock and minimize disease
- Use a starter fertilizer that is low in nitrogen and higher in phosphorous and potassium
- For best results always perform a soil test and fertilize accordingly
More on MOWING: Mowing is a critical and often under appreciated cultural practice:
- Maintain EMPIRE at 1-2"
- Heights above 2" will reduce quality
- Can be maintained at heights of 1/2" if regularly mowed with reel mower
- Rotary mowers are preferred for heights 1" or higher
- Reel mowers are preferred for heights below 1"
- Mow every 7-10 days during the active growing season
- Mow every 10-14 days, or as needed, during cooler weather
- Never cut more than 1/3" of the total length of the blade at any one mowing
- If a scheduled mowing is missed and clippings clump on top of the EMPIRE, bag or vacuum clipping to reduce shade-out
- Vertical mowing (verticutting) may be performed to renovate EMPIRE
1089 Buford Hwy.
Sugar Hill, GA 30518
678-765-3009 - Land Line
678-765-3011 - Fax